23 Mar

5 common food that can be poisonous.

Food is essential to all of our being. Choosing a healthy food is the best way to maintain a healthy life. It is really hard to choose the right food to eat if you do not know the ones that are harmful to your health. It is quite hard to make you believe that most of your favorite fruits and vegetables contains poison in a smaller percentage. But excessive consumption may result in sickness or fatality. Here are the top ten most poisonous foods we love to eat.

5. peanuts

One of the most common allergies is to peanuts. The most severe response is anaphylaxis, which can lead to severe constriction of the airways, shock, and even loss of consciousness. So if you’re allergic, stay away from peanuts and peanut butter.


4. Mushrooms

Not every mushroom is created for consumption and not all the mushrooms are poisonous, mushrooms can cause gastrointestinal discomfort.  Since mushrooms are fungi and the fact that there are so many species, it can be hard to know which are poisonous.


3. Honey

Honey can usually work as a great sugar replacement but in its most natural, raw form, honey is full of deadly toxins. The toxins, called pyrrolizidine alkaloids (PAs), can be found in unpasteurised honey and more than just a teaspoon of that could be fatal to you by causing liver damage.


2. Apples and other stone foods

Apples and stone fruits such as cherries, plums, pears, peaches, and apricots are delicious, but their seeds, bark and leaves contain amygdalin, a compound that produces cyanide. Large doses can lead to dizziness and vomiting, increased blood pressure, kidney failure, coma, and even death.


1. Potatoes

Potatoes are the most poisonous foods that people love to eat. In fact, there are a lot of delicious food preparation that you can do with this ingredient. Preparing this food may not be very dangerous when you know which part of the plant you would include in your dish. All you need to make sure is to disregard its stem and leaves since these are the ones that contain the poisonous substance. The stem and leaves of the plant are toxic, and even the potato itself is toxic. If you’ve ever looked at a potato, you may have realized that some turn a greenish color. This is due to levels of glycoalkaloid poison. In the past, there have been deaths due to potato poisoning. It is rare, but most happen due to someone drinking potato leaf tea, or eating green potatoes. It usually results in weakness and then a coma.

Leave a Reply